Monday, September 8, 2014

I am alive in La Paz, Mexico

I am stuck in La Paz, Mexico but having fun none the less. Hurricane season again which means tucking into somewhere until end of October when the season ends.

I arrived here from Mazatlan around this past March. After a few weeks here any after returning from Europe, I sailed north up into the Sea of Cortez reaching Santa Rosalita in two weeks while enjoying the many islands along the way. My intentions were to continue north to the Bay of Los Angeles but the boat had different plans. At least 3 problems surfaced with the boat and I thought best to return to La Paz where I could find the services and parts that were needed. Here I remain while enjoying the companionship of many other cruisers, some of which I have met along the way before arriving here.

It has been too long since my last blog and photos that I took going north are much the same as I had taken back in 2009 when last visiting the Sea....... so I am going to paste and older blog that I posted back in 2009. Some of you may not have seen this before so it is as if it were new. The others of you that are near my age have forgotten that you had viewed this before so this is as if it was also new for you.

So enjoy the brief blog and relax knowing that I am still alive and well.

*********************************************************************************
I stayed around Isla San Jose for awhile having made myself lunch, waiting for the tides to come in but it looked like they were going to remain low until late afternoon. There are these little bad ass bugs called no-see-ums that are smaller than the head of a needle and there is no way to prevent them from entering the boat and having there way with you. They leave behind a small itchy welt that drives otherwise normal people to jump off of a cliff. So I pulled anchor after not wishing to jump off bridges by remaining there through the evening when they come out of their holes.

Next anchorage was San Evaristo. This is a bay on the Baja peninsula.

Here, as in many locations along the way, is a small fishing village. There is a small store to pick up some supplies that you may need and a home that sells beer if you have run out. It remains open as long as there is something on the shelf and closes so they can drive to La Paz to buy food stuff to again sell to the locals and boaters.

This is the vulture I wrote about in one of my emails. Take a close look. Do you agree that he has a hungry look as he see me pass below him?


For those that have not driven in Mexico, this is a Mexican road sign.


Here she sits. A little closer view of Dolce Vita at anchor in San Evaristo.

Next stop is Nopolo. This location is also on the Baja peninsula. There was not much here to explore ashore but is was quiet and a great place to sit back and chill.


Another great sunset to enjoy while sitting in the cockpit with a drink and a good book.

OK! It is time to pull anchor again. Next stop is Bahia San Carlos.


I don't think I have mentioned how clear the water is. The dark spots in the photos are small rocks. The depth of the water here is 20 feet. Watch and you see several fish swimming by but none large enough for dinner.


Remember Manuel? He is the hombre that caught be lobster for dinner one evening. This is his garage where he keeps his truck. Notice the large bones he has his hands on. Whale bones.


Most of he homes in Mexico are small and usually are very simple in design. Much like a block house. This gentleman had some creative juices when he built this home. This is Manuel's neighbor.


Remember the house that was built after selling a blue 5 carat pearl that a fisherman found. This was built back in the early 1900's. Local history does not say how long someone lived here but it now stands as an empty hulk. No one has enough money to buy it and restore the roof and the interior.

Next stop is Bahia San Marte. Did some more snorkeling and hiking here around the ridge of the bay. It is always rewarding when you can hike to the top of some hill near the anchorage so you can get a good perspective of what the area offers in a way of views.

Here are some photos that I took while on the hike. I went snorkeling after getting back to the boat so I could cool off. One of the other snorkelers mentioned that I must be a strong man. Asking why they thought such nonsense they said I had only a pair of swimming trunks on. They all had full wet suits. The water temperature was 83 degrees. You tell me if you would need a wet suit.





Well that is all for the second installment of the blog. I am going into Loreto tomorrow to see the town and take some photos.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Harry and I are looking forward to our adventure in Mexico to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary, so we hope to run into you while we're there, Denny!