Sunday, June 15, 2014

European Trip - Scotland

Scotland was my next stop. My main objective was to visit the distillery of my favorite Scotch whiskey.

To move around I took trains throughout my trip from one country and within each country so I could get a good view of the small towns and the countryside. Unlike America, you can take trains to almost any location and they run on a regular basis.

My first stop was at Edinburgh. I had booked a dorm room at one of the many hostels and continued to stay in Youth Hostels throughout my remaining trip. To say I was a little older than most of the occupants is an understatement but I fit in an enjoyed myself at each stay. Women and men shared the same room with as many as 12 people in the room in 6 bunk beds. Everyone was always very respectful of your space and quiet when returning late. We men were OK with running around in our underwear and the women had boxer shorts and tee-shirts. Little did the women know that I was a dirty old man but I behaved myself.

As with England, Scotland is rich with history and I spent almost a full day touring the Edinburgh Castle, probably the most visited site in Scotland. The second would be Loch Ness. After visiting the Castle, I stopped at a Scotch whiskey tour and tasting location. I did my share of tasting.

My second stop was Inverness in the highlands of northern Scotland. I used this as my springboard for visiting my favorite scotch and looking for the Loc Ness monster. I rented a care to drive 60 miles to the distillery and managed not running over anything or anybody. You should know that in the UK everyone drives on the wrong side of the road and the steering wheel is on the right side.

My final stop was on the island of Arron off of the southwest coast. My english friends had planned a camping trip there before my scheduled trip and invited me to join them and their friends. Camping while on my vacation was not exactly on my list of planned activities and wasn't exactly prepared but I survived even while freezing. After a five mile hike along the coast with everyone, Paul decided he wanted to hike on the ridge back to the camping site. Everyone was not willing to join him and decided to take the bus back. I didn't want Paul to hike by himself so I decided to join him. We got lost and found the camp after hiking another 15 miles. It was a beautiful hike but much longer than expected.

Then I was off to Northern Ireland. Photos and notes that follow are from Scotland.

Here is a monument built to honor Sir Walter Scott. Now everyone should know who this was. Google him and you will receive a wealth of information on this famous man.


Just some local buildings in old town Edinburgh.



Entrance into the castle is ahead.



The Color Guard.


New recruit.



The first gate into the castle.




Queen Mary of Scots and the new baby and future King of England and Scotland.




Time for whiskey.

This is only half of the whiskeys you can taste or buy. They have as many whiskeys in Scotland as California has wines.




A new scotch that I discovered in my tasting is as good as my Macallan and much cheaper.




The street and homes many centuries old and still in use.


I decided to pass on the offer.


But decided to go into this pub for a pint.


Now you know why I was cold. Snow in them there hills. This was from the train as we headed north to Inverness.


My mission accomplished.



I took this photo of the Loch Ness Monster while everyone was distracted listening to the tour guide.



Camp grounds on the island of Arran. My home is the small tent on the right bottom of the photo.


Some shots of the shoreline.


The start of what was to be an hour hike. Four hours later we returned to the camp site.


That is a few shots from Scotland. Again, send me your email address if you want to see more.

Until the next blog, be safe out there.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Glad you were able to go to "Mecca," Denny. You always have a good time wherever you are. Good on ya.