Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Curacao and Aruba

As promised, when I reached Aruba, I would do a short blog of photos and editorial comments from my visit in Curacao and Aruba. Promise made...promise delivered.

You will see building that are painted light colors making it look like a story book sketch. I was told by one of the locals that in the past, when kings and queens ruled the Netherlands, that they issued a new law that all buildings henceforth should no longer be painted white. All buildings at that time in history were white and the rulers found that it was painful to the eyes during sunny days. You now see colored building, to this day, as the result of this ruling. Can you imagine building colored as such in our towns across America? We should try it. We could have contests for the best chosen colors and trim.

But first.. For you bird lovers out there, What is the name of this bird? No Sam, seagull or pigeon will not win you first prize.



These photos are from Curacao.







There is a floating bridge that moves aside so boats can enter the harbor. I called the port captain and asked that they open bridge so I could enter and a week later so I could exit. My wish was his command. This sign tells a little about its history. Photos and movies to follow.


Scores of people crossing the bridge after it closed following a boats crossing.




A fruit and vegetable market that is open daily. Each stand sells about the same stuff. I guess everyone has their favorite vendor and there is enough business to support everyone.




I took these photos during the evening, DA!, so it is not as brilliant as it otherwise would be if I were closer. This is at the harbor entrance in downtown Curacao where tourist off of the cruise ship spend their money.




Here is a short movie of the moving bridge


This is from Aruba. Another colorful building.


Along with a colorful bus.



Aruba is a cruise ship haven. As many as 4 cruise ship have been docked here during a single day. Tens of thousand souls leave the boat when it arrives and they walk around town in a haze. The wives pleading with their husbands; Oh honey, can I buy something nice for myself.


Well that is all for know. I am again sorry that it will be some time before the next blog. I will be in the remote islands of San Blas, Panama. Although the WiFi site here is slow, it at least exists.

Until next time, be safe out there.

Denny
s/v Dolce Vita

No comments: